[Python-Dev] Re: Another test_compiler mystery

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 03:48:37 CEST 2004

>> and there's a seemingly non-random but hard-to-fathom jumble of
>> recursion-depth and KeyError exceptions thereafter too.
>>
>> So something's really hosed in CVS, or in MSVC 7.1, or ...

[Raymond Hettinger]
> This also occurs on MSVC++ 6.0.
>
> I'm working back in time and it still occurs on the 6/21/2004 checkout.
> That excludes my eval locals argument, Armin's string optimization, and
> Nick's C profiling re-org.

Thank you for trying this stuff!  You already ruled out my #1 guess,
namely that the "catch an exception from alloca()" trick we use on
Windows to detect impending stack overflow stopped working in 7.1.
But if it sucks under 6.0 too ...

Another possibility is that it's something new & evil in the CVS
compiler package (when my driver does "import compiler" under 2.3.4,
of course it picks up 2.3.4's compiler package).

Do you also get no output at all under a 6.0 debug build?

Has anyone on Linux tried this yet?