[Python-Dev] Removing stuff from 2.4

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Aug 9 23:15:17 CEST 2004

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 05:59:22PM +1000, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> The AddlistClass in email is marked as deprecated, but is deprecated
> in favour of a class in rfc822!

Maybe deprecating rfc822 simply isn't a worthwhile goal?

Anyway, here's a revised action list:

* Remove TERMIOS, mpz, statcache, xreadlines, rotor.
  (Unchanged from my earlier proposal.)

  These modules have raised DeprecationWarning for a while, but only
  rotor is listed in PEP 4.  I'll add them to the PEP in any event;
  is not being listed sufficient grounds for delaying their removal to
  2.5?

  (I would say we don't need to wait until 2.5; they've been raising
  DeprecationWarnings for a long time, so users should be well aware
  the modules' days are numbered.)

* Leave rfc822, mimetools alone; the stdlib will have to avoid their use
  first, and I'm not going to do that right now.

* Make mimify, MimeWriter raise DeprecationWarnings; nothing in the
  stdlib uses them.

--amk