[Python-Dev] Another test_compiler mystery

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 22:54:00 CEST 2004

I've noticed several times now, in both debug and release builds, that
if I run regrtest.py with -uall, *sometimes* it just stops after
running test_compiler:

$ python_d  regrtest.py -uall
test_grammar
test_opcodes
test_compare
test_compile
test_compiler

$

There's no indication of error, it just ends.  It's not consistent.

Happened once when I was running with -v, and test_compiler's output ended here:

compiling C:\Code\python\lib\test\test_operator.py
compiling C:\Code\python\lib\test\test_optparse.py
compiling C:\Code\python\lib\test\test_os.py
compiling C:\Code\python\lib\test\test_ossaudiodev.py
compiling C:\Code\python\lib\test\test_parser.py

In particular, there's no

    Ran M tests in Ns

output, so it doesn't look like unittest (let alone regrtest) ever got
control back.

Hmm.  os.listdir() is in sorted order on NTFS, so test_compiler should
be chewing over a lot more files after test_parser.py.

*This* I could blame on a blown C stack -- although I'd expect a much
nastier symptom then than just premature termination.

Anyone else?