[Python-Dev] The date in the generated documentation

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Mon Aug 9 04:29:34 CEST 2004

This is probably the strangest question I've ever asked python-dev.

For the Python bug day I updated my CVS, and later on typed "make" in
the Doc directory.

I'm now viewing the generated html/lib/lib.html file, and it's displayed
in that weird font that Japanese web pages always use, and the top of
the document says
    Release 2.4a2
    平成16年8月7日
which is, as nearly as I can tell, a (correct?) Japanese "Emperor Date".
http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/emperor-date.html gives a little explanation
for us westerners, the first two characters match the Kanji he gives
for the current era (beginning in 1989), and the Western calendar year
is now 1989 + 16 - 1.

Also, the strings "Context", "Index", and "About this document" are
written in Japanese characters.

This appears to affect the other documents (ref/ref.html, etc) generated
as well.

Nothing on my system should be particularly Japanese (my locale is
en_US.UTF-8, for example).  While I installed a lot of fonts with this
system, I haven't done anything else that would lead me to expect this.

The OS is Fedora Core 2 upgraded from FC1 if that helps ring anybody's
bell.

The paper-letter/*.pdf files that "make pdf" generates have the
proper "August 8, 2004" date in them.

Jeff