[Python-Dev] Suggesting '.' decorators (PEP318)

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Aug 9 04:29:07 CEST 2004

Heiko Wundram <heikowu at ceosg.de>:

> Same objection from me as to the proposal of decorating with | in
> the function: it simply takes away the actual meaning from the
> decorator (which actually is to make it very clear to see that the
> function is special in some way).

I think a problem we have here is that how important it is to know
that a function is being decorated depends on the nature of the
decorator. For example, it can be important for the user of a function
to know that it's a classmethod or staticmethod. On the other hand,
the Objective-C signature of a PyObjC method is something that's only
of interest to the implementor of the method.

So there isn't going to be a one-size-fits-all approach that will give
all decorators exactly the right amount of prominence.