[Python-Dev] capturing RETURN_VALUE

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Aug 9 01:18:23 CEST 2004

Tim Peters wrote:

> It did in your specific example, but not necessarily.  In your
> specific example, the finally block didn't execute "break" if an
> exception was raised, it only did "break" if the finally block was
> entered because of a return.  If it had done "break" in the exception
> case too, it would have "abandoned" the exception too:

Sure, that was by design.
I'm trying to inline functions into each other, with
smallest possible changes to the bytecodes of the
inlined functions. Exceptions shall pass through,
returns shall be captured and *not* cause the embracing
function to return, but to continue with the "returned"
value.

thanks for this answer -- chris