[Python-Dev] Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sun Aug 8 13:07:11 CEST 2004

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004, [ISO-8859-1] "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:

>Roman Suzi wrote:
>>
>> BTW, hat is wrong with my %-proposal:
>
>Wrt our discussion: it does not just replace the choice of
>character; it also replaces the position where the decorators
>are placed.
>
>Taken on its own, it is similar to C2 and C3 in
>
>http://www.python.org/moin/PythonDecorators
>
>and as such, it shares the same problems. Feel free to add
>it as C4 if you care.

Yes, this is like C3 when '%' is used instead of "using" (pseudo)keyword.
As for the problems, I do not agree that decorators visually mix with
arguments: it is not a problem with +-s and *-s in an expression or other
similar cases. Also: heavily decorated function/method probably tells
that something is wrong with it's design.

BTW, IMHO, "A" case has more drawbacks than "C" cases. I also like
%-syntax being used in |-syntax style (E2).

>> I want to hear the critics of this as I see this a better syntax
>> to the decoration needs!
>
>Read the Wiki.

Done.

>Regards,