[Python-Dev] Re: Decorators: vertical bar syntax

Marco Bubke marco at bubke.de
Sun Aug 8 08:52:10 CEST 2004

Edward Loper wrote:

> The new "vertical bar" syntax was proposed recently, and has gotten
> almost unanimously positive feedback.  In particular, of 17 responses
> to the syntax, only one has been negative (see table, below).
>
> I'm including both of the following variants:
>
>      |classmethod
>      |accepts(int, int)
>      |returns(float)
>      def foo(arg1, arg2):
>
>      def foo(arg1, arg2):
>          |classmethod
>          |accepts(int, int)
>          |returns(float)

I really like the second one maybe with '@'. For me a decorator is a
property of the function like the attributes. I think this is function foo
with two arguments, its a classmethod etc.. The function name and the
arguments are much more important for me than the decorators. So they
should be go after the doc string.

Marco