[Python-Dev] PEP-0006, Bug Fix Releases

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Aug 7 15:23:39 CEST 2004

Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> writes:

>     In addition, anyone from the Python community is free to suggest
>     patches for inclusion. Patches may be submitted specifically for
>     patch releases; they should follow the guidelines in PEP 3 [2].
>     In general, though, it's probably better that a bug in a specific
>     release also be fixed on the HEAD as well as the branch.

I thought the consensus policy was now stronger than this: bugfixes
are tested on the trunk (unless the bug has gone away on the trunk as
part of feature work or something).  Submitting a patch that only
applies to release2x-maint is not good form.

>     Bug fix releases are expected to occur at an interval of roughly
>     six months. This is only a guideline, however - obviously, if a
>     major bug is found, a bugfix release may be appropriate sooner. In
>     general, only the N-1 release will be under active maintenance at
>     any time. That is, during Python 2.4's development, Python 2.3 gets
                                                         ^
                                                         only?

>     bugfix releases.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  But since your post didn't lay out your assumptions, your goals,
  or how you view language characteristics as fitting in with