[Python-Dev] @decorators, the PEP and the "options" out there?

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat Aug 7 09:14:29 CEST 2004

[Tim Peters explaining that you don't have to crunch everything up together]
> That bothers me a lot too, but because the world really isn't running
> out of vertical whitespace:
>
> class MyLittleToy:
>
>     def methy1(self):
>         print 'whee'
>
>     @staticmethod
>     def methy2():
>         print 'woo'
>
>     @staticmethod
>     def methy3(arg):
>         for i in arg:
>             print 'woohoo'

If the syntax does end up along these lines (and I'm expressing no opinion
either way), then maybe it would be worth explicitly telling people (i.e. in
PEP 8) that they ought to put a blank line before decorators to make it
clear?  Yes, people should figure this themselves, but they probably won't
<0.5 wink>, and it does make for ugly code.

Same deal for "don't do '@this @and_this @on_the_same_line'" (unless that
loses it's validity).

(And if some other syntax 'wins', then a guide for using that couldn't hurt,
too).

=Tony Meyer

p.s. Anyone else have a suspicion that Anthony checked in the @decorators to
2.4a2 as a sneaky way of getting more people than normal (all them riled up
ones) to download the alpha and try it out? <wink>