[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 19:40:47 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> - change the language ref that talks about this to state that
>> although Python currently doesn't use these symbols, this is not
>> stopping a future version of Python from using them for some new
>> feature.
>
> Does that really have to be stated?  Isn't this just giving in to the
> silly lawyers?  A reference manual describes the status quo.  How can
> it possibly begin to describe future directions?  (Except when
> reserving certain classes of identifiers like C does.)

As I stated before, it was always perfectly clear to me that in using @$? for
ipython, I was taking a risk.  So I don't feel in any way 'lied to' by the
documentation, since nowhere did it make any kind of promise for the future.
It only stated the current status quo, and that's how I read it.  I decided to
make use of that status quo for my purposes, but being fully aware that I
might have to adapt in the future.

Best,