[Python-Dev] @decorators, the PEP and the "options" out there?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Aug 6 16:56:53 CEST 2004

> >>I added "with", although I havn't seen it.
> >
> > Guido's reserving "with" for this purpose in some future Python:
> >
> >      with x.y:
> >          .z = spam    # set x.y.z = spam
> >          print .q.r   # print x.y.q.r
>
> Except that the only extant PEP involving with actually uses it for
> something else :-)

And I wish that PEP would propose a different name.  (In fact, the
fact that 'with' is slated for a different use should be added to it.)

> I think talking about what Guido is or isn't doing is a bit
> ... wrong?

Yes if it's speculation (like what I would consider "pythonic").  In
this case, I have repeatedly stated exactly what is quoted above as my
preferred use for 'with' in Python 3.0.