[Python-Dev] Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Aug 6 13:12:31 CEST 2004

[Shalabh]
> An alternative character (as others have suggested)
> might be good too. If so, I found '|' particularly nice :)
>
>     |paramnames(username='Username', password='Password')
>     |webmethod(username=str, password=str)
>     def login(self, username, password, return_to=None):
>         request = current.request

I much prefer this to @decorator.  In addition to the advantages that
Shalabh gives:

 + It doesn't break Leo, IPython, or any other tool that uses @ as a
   special character.

 + The association with pipes makes some sense: "take this thing and pass
   it through that thing to get a modified thing".

Perhaps someone with write access to the Wiki page at
http://www.python.org/moin/PythonDecorators could add this idea there?
It would be a shame if it got lost in the high-volume traffic here on
python-dev.  Unless there's some overwhelming technical reason why reusing
the '|' character isn't possible, of course.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com