Exceptional inheritance patterns (was Re: [Python-Dev] Python in Unicode context)

Holger Krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Fri Aug 6 09:45:09 CEST 2004

Greg Ewing wrote:
> > My point is that I like to regard try/except as a mechanism for
> > "out-of-band" objects.  Guidos "should be shot" seems to indicate he
> > sees try/except only useful/applicable to exception-handling.
>
> If the root exception class were called something else,
> such as 'Raisable', would that make you feel better?

Yes, I certainly wouldn't object. I guess this would mean 'Exception'
would derive from Raisable because Exception itself should probably not
go away.  Hey, strings could inherit from Raisable, too! Just kidding :-)

Then again, i think Python has a tradition of not requiring inheritance
but just behaviour.  And doesn't this whole issue only exist because
"raise X" with X being a class and autoinstantiated is allowed?

Well, anyway, let's not add too much to the current python-dev traffic
with this issue.  I think it has been brought up a couple of times
already.

Hey, i have an idea: why not create a python-syntax mailing list
(or python-hell :-) ?

cheers,

    Holger