[Python-Dev] PEP 318, and the PEP process

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 6 09:39:40 CEST 2004

Skip Montanaro wrote:
> I still think that finding a way to let users play with a couple syntax
> variants would be a reasonable way to sort things out.

I also disagree. People don't get the urgency of the need for feedback
if they are left to guess which syntax will finally make it. If
confronted with only a single choice, they focus on that syntax. If
significant factual problems can be detected, the syntax can be
discarded, and the reason for failure be recorded. In addition, a single
approach gives focus for well-designed counter-proposals. If there are
no flaws found and no "better" counter-proposals made, there is no
reason to change the feature.

Regards,
Martin