[Python-Dev] PEP 318, and the PEP process

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Aug 6 04:18:55 CEST 2004

Dave Brueck wrote:
> (FWIW, it seems that a lot of the uproar about the syntax change is that
> it is being interpreted as a permanent change to the language rather
> than just experimental functionality. I _think_ I read here on
> python-dev that it was semi-experimental, but if that's the case I'm not
> sure how well that message got out - e.g. the "What's New in Python
> 2.4a2" section of NEWS.html doesn't reflect this)

I thought about adding something to the release announcement about
this, but decided against it, as I felt it wouldn't help the process,
but would instead lead to even more complaints. My take on this was
that the @syntax was put in 2.4a2, and was experimental only in that
if there was a better solution to come up, we'd use that. That is,
the default action was that it would stay in. Guido, or anyone else,
can chime in and let me know if I've mis-stated this.