[Python-Dev] Python in Unicode context

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Aug 6 02:25:59 CEST 2004

> > Seems to me the point at which we start allowing new-style classes as
> > exceptions should also be the point at which we drop the idea of
> > string exceptions. Would that help?
>
> It would probably make things a little simpler, but probably not in a
> major way.

I was thinking it might avoid the need to enforce a common
base class for exceptions, since it would remove the ambiguity
of whether 'raise "spam"' is raising a string exception or
an instance of class str.

But if it's considered a good idea to enforce a common
root anyway, I guess it doesn't make much difference.