[Python-Dev] OK to lower timeout for test_timeout's testConnectTimeout test?

Brett Cannon bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Aug 5 23:15:17 CEST 2004

I am actually getting failures from test_timeout's testConnectTimeout
since the Net connection I have at school lets me connect to Google in
under the .001 connection timeout value.  If I push it to .00000001 (a
hundred-millionth of a second) it then fails consistently.

Now the problem is that the second part of the test uses this and a fuzz
value (currently at 2) to see if the test timed out within the proper
amount of time.  The comparison is basically if the amount of time it
took to do the timed out failure is less than timeout + fuzz.  So
lowering this number could possibly affect the test, although at .001
seconds, I am doubting that will occur.  But since these types of timing
tests can be touchy I thought I would double-check.

So if anyone thinks it is bad to lower the value to .00000001 then
please let me know.  Otherwise I will lower the value before the next
alpha goes out.

-Brett

P.S.: the only other failures I have on OS X right now is test_curses
(because I used -uall) and test__locale .  Should we disable
test__locale on OS X to shut it up since Martin seems to think the test
isn't all that useful and won't work for OS X ever?