[Python-Dev] Call for defense of @decorators

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Aug 5 18:36:36 CEST 2004

It seems a public outcry against @decorators has started.  When I let
Anthony check it in for 2.4a2, the plan was to see how it fares in a2
and a3, and possibly take it out in 2.4b1.  If you don't want that to
happen, you might want to say something in public in defense of
@decorators.

We also need help updating the PEP; it doesn't mention @decorators,
and it doesn't even begin to mention the pro and con of many other
suggestions (does it say why "def decorator func(...)" was rejected?).
I don't have time for any of this; I can barely make time for a few
emails per day.  Perhaps the @advocates can elect or volunteer a PEP
editor.

I really don't care if everybody thinks it's ugly.  I do care to find
out about usability issues.  For example, it may cause problems for
Leo, but I don't know how bad that is.  I also want to find out about
superior syntax proposals (from __future__ import decorators might be
acceptable).

An argument about timing: IMO there's no point in putting it off until
2.5 -- the syntax options don't get prettier, backwards compatibility
issues don't get easier by waiting, and as it is it will probably take
a year from 2.4's release in December before it is the mainstream
Python version.