[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4a2, and @decorators

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Wed Aug 4 18:39:53 CEST 2004

On Aug 3, 2004, at 4:22 PM, David Eppstein wrote:

> I think I was the one who posted the lambda comment.
> I also posted in a different message a use-case for decorators that had
> a line with two lambdas in it, so obviously I don't hate lambdas.

Ah, I'm sorry then. I have noticed many people seem to be quite biased
against lambdas here, so I just assumed.

> I'm actually pretty neutral on restricted decorators vs @expression.
> But
>    @lambda(func): body
>    def func(...): ...
> is (I think) much more likely to be an abuse of language than the
> Pythonic way of writing something, so I don't see a lot of harm in
> preventing it.

Oh, I agree, it's quite silly to write a piece of code like that, and
if anyone wrote it in code I have to maintain I'd probably be quite
irritated.

So, if the conclusion to this is "well, we can always unrestrict it
later, if someone comes up with a convincing use-case", then it'll
likely never be changed, because I doubt that's gonna happen. The best
I can do is foo().bar(), which I suspect at least one person will run
into at some point and wonder about, then work around instead of
presenting it to python-dev.

My main argument is and has been simply: that's how everything else in
python works, so this should be the same.

Last message on this subject, I think everyone got the point by now and
is either convinced or not. :)

James