[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4a2, and @decorators

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Aug 4 17:12:02 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 09:46, Jim Fulton wrote:

> I don't agree that they are ignorable.  People will see them in code
> and will *have* to understand what they mean.  Given sme examples
> I've seen here, this will sometimes be a significant chalenge.

I think most of the cognitive challenge for decorators will be in
understanding the side-effects of the decorator, not in understanding
the syntax for wrapping a function in a decorator.  That won't change by
using some other (or no new) syntax -- the Python 2.3. spelling would be
just as hairy.

-Barry