[Python-Dev] Re: 2.4a2, and @decorators

Florian Schulze florian.proff.schulze at gmx.net
Wed Aug 4 09:15:56 CEST 2004

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:01:42 -0400, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> For longer functions, it's a clear win; the '@' stands out nicely,
> especially with the python-mode.el font-locking support I just added. :)
> It certainly exhibits all the benefits that motivated adding special
> syntax for decorators in the first place.

I think this is also a strong point for the '@' syntax. How should an
editor know that a list before a method is a decoration and should be
highlighted differently?

The backwards compatibility to python < 2.4 doesn't count in my opinion,
because other features like generators and list-comprehensions also can't
be used in older pythons, and the old syntax with the decoration after the
method body is still available, so this is no problem.

+1 for the pie syntax from my little voice as a user of python

Regards,
Florian Schulze