[Python-Dev] 2.4a2, and @decorators

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Aug 2 17:14:50 CEST 2004

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 10:40, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>@decorator won?  When did that happen?
>

> First I heard about it was when I saw Anthony's checkin messages.  Maybe
> it was throwing that pie that inspired Guido -- an '@' does kind of look
> like a pie.  I think Anthony's checkin message was accurate enough
> though -- it's the syntax everyone can hate equally.  But I'm glad
> /something/ made it in!
>
> print>>-set-the-precedent-ly y'rs,
> -Barry

Hey, I was just going off Guido's decision (in email - looking back, it
wasn't cc'd to python-dev, which probably explains the lack of 400
followups <wink>)

Channelling the BDFL, I think the idea was to put it in 2.4a2, and see
how it works for people. If it turns out that it's really really really
hated, we can try something else in a3. Guido can of course follow up
to this (hint hint) and give his own answers.

I've been playing with it for most of the last week, on and off, and I
can say that I hate it less now. The @ makes it very obvious visually
what's going on, which the other syntaxes didn't.

But I like Barry's idea - I think it should be referred to at the
'pie decorator syntax'.

Anthony