[Python-Dev] PEP 289 - Generator Expressions - Let's Move Forward

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Apr 30 14:01:32 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 13:59, Andrew Koenig wrote:
> > > This looks (a) cool and (b) a complete hack that nobody should be
> > allowed to
> > > do without messing with sys._getframe().
> >
> > It reminds me a little bit of the dynamic binding in Emacs lisp.  As
> > incredibly useful as that is sometimes, it's a disgusting hack. :)
>
> And, if I understand correctly, something from which the Lisp community is
> moving away--preferring, instead, the notion of "lexical scoping" such as in
> Scheme.

That's my understanding too.  Back when I followed such things, there
was a lot of discussion in the XEmacs lists about implementing lexical
scoping and getting rid of this ugly hack (eventually -- no doubt
there's tons of old elisp that would break as a result).

tim-would-have-fixed-python-mode-ly y'rs,
-Barry