[Python-Dev] Re: Proposal: A more powerful alternative to ConfigParser

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Thu Apr 22 08:53:36 EDT 2004

[Full text included for the benefit of python-dev]

Dan Gass wrote:
 > I have written a new module 'config.py' which can be used for
 > similar purposes as ConfigParser.  The biggest difference is that
 > this fetches user configured python objects.  The technique this
 > module supports is well thought out and provides a single solution
 > for the simplest to the most complex configuration problems without
 > sacrificing ease of use and simplicity.  For these reasons I think
 > it should be considered for inclusion into the Python distribution.
 > I work in the field of embedded software development and find this
 > module extremely useful for unit, integration, and functional
 > testing of our software as well as for controlling many other
 > utility scripts.
 >
 > To date I have:
 >
 > 1) provided documentation in the module doc string
 > 2) insured made sure module is well commented and follows the coding
 > guidelines
 > 3) written a test suite to insure functionality is correct (and
 > remains correct)
 >
 > I am willing to do further development of this module, support of
 > the module and take the steps necessary to see it through the PEP
 > process.  I am looking for feedback on whether this module should be
 > considered for inclusion in the standard Python distribution as well
 > as any technical suggestions.  I have placed the GNU license on the
 > module but would be more than happy (and legally able) to relabel it
 > with the license of your choice.
 >
 > Thanks in advance for your consideration!
 >
 > Dan Gass

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your interest.  I'm not sure why, but your message (sent
April 21 around 15:40 UTC) didn't make it to the python-dev list as
addressed.

Typically, a new module first has to prove itself in the real world
before being accepted into the standard library, especially for a
module replacing existing functionality.  It's usually easier to
accept additions/improvements to existing modules (i.e. patches) than
replacement modules.

I suggest you put the module (along with docs and the test suite) up
on the web and make an announcement on python-announce.  Then try to
generate community support.

In any case, if you'd like to write a PEP for it, please read through
PEP 1 and PEP 2.

--
David Goodger                    <http://starship.python.net/~goodger>
Python Enhancement Proposal (PEP) Editor <http://www.python.org/peps/>