[Python-Dev] Re: Decimal data type issues

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 13:12:07 EDT 2004

[Jewett, Jim J]
> Is there any reason why input and output should be the only
> operations that do not honor an optional local context?

While all operations in the spec except for the two to-string operations use
context, no operations in the spec support an optional local context.  That
the Decimal() constructor ignores context by default is an extension to the
spec.  We must supply a context-honoring from-string operation to meet the
spec.  I recommend against any concept of "local context" in any
operation -- it complicates the model and isn't necessary.  Piles of
"convenience features" should wait until people actually use this in real
life, so can judge what's truly clumsy based on experience instead of
speculation.