[Python-Dev] Possible modules that could use docs

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Apr 19 12:46:53 EDT 2004

    >>> puremodule.c could probably be deprecated.  Does anybody use Purify
    >>> anymore -- and if so, have you ever used puremodule?  Does it still
    >>> compile?  Are the APIs it uses still up-to-date?
    >>
    >> Although I did use Purify on python years ago, I never use it now.
    >> Though, I never used the puremodule.  IMO, Purify is not useful
    >> compared to valgrind.  +1 on deprecating puremodule.c.

    Nick> I think it's useful to point out that Purify runs on a lot more
    Nick> platforms than valgrind does, so we should probably keep
    Nick> puremodule around, and update it if necessary.

I don't think there's any question that Purify (and perhaps the pure module)
are of use to a certain segment of the Python user base.  The question is
more whether or not it can be properly maintained as part of the
distribution.  Barry and perhaps Neal are the only two people I remember
ever using it, and it appears that neither of them to anymore.  Deprecating
it doesn't mean it has to go away, just that support has to come from
outside the core group of maintainers.

Does anyone with checkin privileges:

    1. have the necessary Purify license which would allow them to build and
       exercise the pure module?

    2. have the time/desire to support it?

If the answer is "no" to either question, I think deprecation is the way to
go.

Skip