[Python-Dev] Re: No-cost optimizing VC 7.1

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Apr 18 22:51:12 EDT 2004

[Greg Ewing]
> Can I just ask at this point whether it's possible to
> use MinGW to compile extensions for the Python version
> under discussion here?

Don't know -- someone who uses MinGW would need to answer that.

> If not, I think you're making a big mistake basing the
> standard distribution on this compiler.

Why is that?  If it doesn't play nice with the latest MSVC, MinGW doesn't
have a future on Windows.

The precompiled Python Windows distro has always been built with the flavor
of MSVC current at the time.  Nothing has changed in that respect, except
the specific MSVC flavor in use -- and that MS has made some versions of
this flavor available without cost.