[Python-Dev] Optimization targets - refcount

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Apr 17 10:01:13 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004, Mike Pall wrote:

> To summarize: I think we can optimize the GC a little more (have not done
> an in-depth analysis yet), but we really should focus on making Python
> less malloc-happy. Suggestions welcome!

Could you expand on this?  What do you mean by "less malloc-happy"?
What you were talking about earlier was ``None``, which doesn't go
through malloc hoops.

I think you might find it useful to at least read old threads about
refcounting vs. GC.  (I managed to dig up the old thread about getting
rid of refcounting for ``None``; don't have time for more.)

"I used to have a .sig but I found it impossible to please everyone..."  --SFJ