[Python-Dev] Inno Setup script for Python debug runtime

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Thu Apr 15 13:11:02 EDT 2004

Most probably I was too short in describing what I want, and what this
script is and does, I also got a personal email asking for more, so I'll
try again:

Inno Setup is a free tool of superb quality to create executable windows
installers.  See http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php

The script I mention allows to create a windows installer containing
*only* the debugging binaries and libraries which are created when you
compile Python from the sources in debug mode.

When run, it copies these files into an existing, standard Python
installation, the location is read from the registry.  The standard
files are not overwritten, since the debug binaries on windows have an
additional _d appended to the filename (python_d.exe instead of
python.exe, for example).

This allows easy building of debug versions of your own extensions for
debugging.

The existing python.iss inno setup script is not used in the official
Python build, although without doubt it is useful to other people.

I want to run the official Python binary distribution (I must, because I
build them ;-), and also want to have the debug binaries in the same
location.  This debug build is also installed by my coworkers, who don't
want to build debug Python themselves (at least when the standard
extension modules requiring third party code, like zlib, have to be
included).

That is the reason that I don't want to include this into the existing
python.iss script.

Thomas