[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 328 -- relative and multi-line import

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Apr 14 02:24:40 EDT 2004

Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com>:

> Nope.  Absolute imports are the most common form

I don't agree with that. In every major Python application I've
written, the vast majority of imports are from other modules of the
application, which are most sensibly referenced relatively.

I, too, am quite concerned about the imminent breaking of every
existing relative import, apparently because Guido has an ideological
objection to relative imports and wants to punish us for having used
them so freely over the years.

If he goes ahead with this, I suggest we hack his unix system and
remove the ability to use relative pathnames. Let's see how he likes
using that. :-)