[Python-Dev] Re: Decimal data type issues

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Tue Apr 13 16:05:25 EDT 2004

[Paul Moore]
#- > So, should we impose an artificial limit to the exponent?
#- >
#- > This is important, as there're several cases where this
#- maximums are
#- > checked and exceptions raised and/or the numbers get changed.
#-
#- I don't have a strong opinion either way (as I'll never be likely to
#- hit a limit in practice) but my instinct says that you should not
#- impose arbitrary limits. Are there any benefits to having a
#- limit? You don't mention any in your message...

[Facundo Batista]
> I don't find any benefit. But the implementation I took to finish
> imposed the limits, and I'm searching community agreement
> before extract them.

My only "strong opinion" is that, IF there are limits, they should be
consumer-modifiable. Given that, I'd still prefer no limits. In
plusminusspeak:

No limit: +1
Modifiable limits: +0
Concrete limits: -1