[Python-Dev] Proposed iterator representations

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 9 02:18:28 EDT 2004

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> For xrange iterators, there are a few choices:

> iter(xrange(10, 20, 2))
>      or
> rangeiterator(10, 20, 2)
>      or
> <rangeiterator start=10, stop=20, step=2>
>
> The first is my favorite.  Though odd looking, it can be run through
> eval() and is completely self-documenting.  The second has the virtue of
> using the actual type name but it cannot be run through eval().  The
> third is closer to the current format but adds some information.

Third.  If I am at the interpreter I want information presented to me in
the best way possible.  If I need to type it in again I have readline
and a command history for that.  =)

> For dictionaries, lists, tuples, and reversed, there are similar choices
> but the eval() version can only be supported with a full listing of the
> parent object:

<SNIP>

> What do you guys think?

As mentioned above, I want the information presented in the most
informative way and not worry about the repr output.

-Brett