[Python-Dev] Python is faster than C

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Apr 5 20:50:28 EDT 2004

On Apr 5, 2004, at 8:38 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:

> "Moore, Paul" <Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com>:
>
>> Hmm. I'm torn. On the one hand, it's really cool that Python+Psyco can
>> out-perform C (another argument against the knee-jerk "recode bits in
>> C" reaction). But my gut feel is that not enough people use Psyco to
>> make this a good answer yet.
>
> If and when Psyco becomes an integral part of the core
> Python distribution and works on all supported platforms,
> then it may make sense to keep more stuff in Python as
> a matter of course.
>
> Until then, keeping pure-Python versions of some modules
> around as an alternative for Psyco users might be
> desirable.

If nothing else pure python versions of modules:
	(a) serve as great documentation
	(b) are good for psyco
	(c) are good for PyPy
	(d) are good for Pyrex
	(e) are good for Starkiller
	(f) are good for Jython
	(g) are good for IronPython

I would recommend that all standard library C extensions that can have
python implementations should have them somewhere that is easy to find,
even if it's in a CVS sandbox somewhere.

-bob