[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 318: Decorators last before colon

Mark Russell marktrussell at btopenworld.com
Mon Apr 5 16:08:19 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 19:59, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Another possibility might be to require the construct start without the
> whitespace:
>
> "[as" WHITESPACE ... "]"
>
> That avoids the buffering issue and matches what most programmer are more
> likely to write anyway.

I think that's probably too arbitrary a restriction.  Another thought:
presumably the parser could handle this syntax if "as" were a keyword.
Is that true, and if so, is making "as" a keyword out of the question?
The change could presumably be enabled by a "from __future__" directive
to avoid breaking existing code.

Mark