[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Python's readability

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Apr 5 13:27:19 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004, Paul Prescod wrote:

> What people find readable depends mostly on what they are used to. The
> reason Python is "so readable" on first read is because it rips off so
> much syntax directly from C, the language that is the ancestor for all
> of the other languages people use today.

Speaking as someone whose first languages were BASIC and Pascal, both
before C became so hugely popular, my feelings about Python's readability
were more along the lines of it being different from C.  Yes, I knew
enough C to recognize where it was being ripped off -- but that's a far
cry from the elegance of the language as a whole.

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?