[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Decorators last before colon

Hernan Foffani hernan at orgmf.com.ar
Mon Apr 5 12:09:23 EDT 2004

> ... The * prefix looks so arbitrary: why not /, why not @, etc...

It's curious that '@' was brought.  I bet it won't be included
in the proposal but it should be mentioned that there's a notorious
corner use case using a symetrical syntax with a prefix-postfix pair
of characters.
With proper semantics and honoring lowercase plus underscore name
style, it may look like this:

    o_o = [wow, it, reminds, me, ol, uncle, Pep]
    class Giuseppe(object):

        @[o_o]@

        def pepper_peps_up_the_pep_thread(self):
            pass      # heh... where's the "pess" reserved werd?

(BIG :-D if it wasn't clear enough)
Now seriously...
Don't know if it was mentioned before or even if it's relevant but
I strongly believe that most .NET programmers will understand its
meaning (even no-C# ones) and also java ones will (they might
not reckon it though ;-) yet still considering the fact that
python's decorators will be more powerful.

FWIW:  For reasons already given in previous messages I *do*
prefer decorator-before-def-plus-star syntax (prefix only ;-)

Regards,
-Hernan

do i send this or not? yes, no, yes, no, yes...