[Python-Dev] PEP 328: __path__

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Apr 5 01:16:26 EDT 2004

Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com>:

> Between the addition of ``as`` in Python 2.0 and the new syntax &
> semantics for ``import``, there is no longer a need for ``__path__``, and
> it is now officially deprecated.

NO! WAIT!

I have a project in which I'm modifying a module's __path__,
and it's *not* to work around any deficiencies in the relative
import mechanism. Rather it's to make a set of directories
behave like a single package for import purposes, with the
members of the set determined at run time.

Will there be any easy way to do this under the new scheme?
If not, can you please try to find some way to make __path__
work sensibly with the new rules.