[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Properties

Jewett, Jim J jim.jewett at eds.com
Sun Apr 4 19:45:16 EDT 2004

Skip:

>> How would this be interpreted?

>>     x = 42

>>    def x(self) [propget]:
>>        "Doc string for x"
>>        return self.__x

>> That is, there is already an (otherwise invalid) 'x' in the calling scope
>> when propget() is called.  Do the property doodads just need to be
>> bulletproofed or should an exception be raised?

Guido:

> It's broken.  I expect this to raise an exception at some point.
> Beyond that, who cares?

If so, then this decorator is a bad idea.

I would expect 42 to be the initial value of the property x.

I could learn that properties are different, and this won't work, but...
this would be a very unexpected result.  At the very least, an explicit
exception should be raised at definition time.

-jJ