[Python-Dev] Re: Vote No on 318

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Fri Apr 2 15:45:12 EST 2004

"Raymond Hettinger" <python at rcn.com> writes:

>> > A failing common to all of the proposals is that they turn action
>> > words (like classmethod) into adjectives with implicit actions.
>
> [Greg Ewing]
>> Action words? I would have said "classmethod" is a noun, and as such
>> it's a perfectly good name for a decorator.
>
> Sure, the current name happens to be a noun instead of "classmethodify",
> but what it does is action oriented.   So, the real issue is declarative
> versus imperative.  Both are great, but don't mix well.

I disagree, especially where Python is concerned.  Declarations in
Python, if that even has meaning, are imperative by nature.  Try
running this:

  def f():
      g()

  f()

  def g():
      pass

The highest level languages are often declarative.  The fact that the
declarations may be executed is, as Greg says, an implementation
detail.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting