[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 318: Decorators last before colon -- another new syntax idea

Andrew Koenig ark-mlist at att.net
Fri Apr 2 09:40:08 EST 2004

> Has something along these lines been discussed?
>
>   with [staticmethod, classmethod]:
>
>      def foo(x):
>          pass
>
>      def bar(x):
>          pass
>
> IIUC, the PyObjC application needs whole swathes of functions with
> the same decoration, but this syntax isn't much worse for one
> function than for many.

If I understand it correctly, the motivation for this idea is to try to
avoid cluttering the definitions with large numbers of decorators.

In which case, how about this?

	sc = [staticmethod, classmethod]

	def foo(x) sc:
		pass

	def bar(x) sc:
		pass

In other words, if the decorators are too voluminous, do what you always do
with a complicated expression:  Bind a variable to it and use the variable
instead.