[Python-Dev] Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Sep 30 18:11:50 EDT 2003

Michael Hudson writes:
 > It occurs to me that I don't know *why* Fred is so much the
 > documentation man; I've not had any trouble processing the docs into
 > HTML lately (haven't tried on Windows, admittedly, and I haven't
 > tried to make info ever).

It's certainly gotten easier to deal with the documentation on modern
Linux distributions.  At CNRI, we used mostly Solaris boxes, and I
have to build my own teTeX installations from source, and hand-select
a version of LaTeX2HTML that worked for me.

At this point, all the software that I can't just install from a
RedHat CD is part of what gets pulled down from CVS.  I've been able
to build the docs on Cygwin as well, though I've not tried lately.
A lot of what it takes to build the docs is written into Doc/Makefile,
but it does require a solid make (it even uses $(shell ...) now, so
maybe only GNU make will do; not sure).

 > What else needs to be done?  There must be quite a bit of mucking
 > about on creosote to do, I guess.

There's a bit, but that's getting easier and easier as I've gone
through it a few times now.  I updated PEP 101 the other evening so
anyone can do what's needed to build the packages and get them in the
download locations.  There's more to be written to explain what else
needs to be updated on the site.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>