[Python-Dev] Good way of finding out what C functions we have?

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Sep 30 17:58:07 EDT 2003

"Brett C." <bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

> Shows how much I know; I found that last night but since it didn't say
> POSIX anywhere I thought it was part of another standard.  I guess the
> "Issue 5" mention means that BASE is POSIX?  Or is IEEE 1003.1
> basically POSIX?

In the past, the various standards different slightly. Today, IEEE
1003.1 is the same as ISO/IEC 9945:2003 (parts 1..4), is the same as
Single Unix version 3, is the same as XPG/5. It contains the
OpenGroup's XBD, XSH, XCU, and XRAT documents. The UNIX product
standard (which apparently hasn't been revised since '98) also covers
XCURSES, XTI, and a few others; UNIX98 workstation also supports X11
and CDE.

> What does happen if a HAVE_foo is actually required?  Does the build
> fail or will configure halt and say that the build will fail if you
> proceed?

configure only checks for the feature. If the feature is absent, yet
we use the feature without an #ifdef, the build just fails; that would
be a bug.

Regards,
Martin