[Python-Dev] Re: RELEASED Python 2.3.1

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Sep 26 13:42:45 EDT 2003

>>> "Tim Peters" wrote
> That sounds dangerous to me:  there's *always* an HP/UX build problem, if
> you count (as I do) getting threads to work.  Every release, some HP/UX user
> submits a patch that breaks the build for other HP/UX users.  So unless
> we've got a bona fide HP/UX expert on tap now (do we? that would be way cool
> <wink>), don't hold up solving a clear and widespread Linux problem by
> waiting for one to appear.

On the scale of "HP/UX build problems we've known and loved", this one's
a trivial one.
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=811160&group_id=5470
has a patch (from the gcc bugtracker - they ran into the exact same problem)

Now, the readline+no-threads=boom coredump, well, that involves threads, and
the original reporter even mentions HP/UX, but it's more a simple-ish one -
missing #ifdef WITH_THREAD calls, as far as I can see.
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=811844&group_id=5470

(Someone should probably do a scan of the code in Modules to make sure all
the threading API calls are wrapped in WITH_THREAD #ifdefs. Not me, now,
though - way past bedtime).