[Python-Dev] Hi, and a question about filename completion via readline in Python 2.3

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Sep 25 13:50:10 EDT 2003

Fernando Perez <fperez at colorado.edu> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
>> Fernando Perez <fperez at colorado.edu> writes:
>
>>>work.  I personally (and many others) use ipython as my main python
>>>shell, and I fell it provides a superior working environment to
>>>anything else I've seen out there (especially if you need to combine
>>>python work with manipulating underlying files).
>> Bet pyrepl still canes it for multi-line work :-)
>
> It does for on-site multi-line work (though ipython now has an @edit
> command which is a reasonable substitute).  But ipython has a ton more
> features that make it a fuller environment.  As I said before (long
> ago), it would be cool if we could integrate the two a bit more.  Care
> to give it a go (off-list)?

<sigh> not right now.  Too much else to do.  But one day, I promise!

>>>So ultimately my concerns are:
>>>
>>>- is there currently a way to re-enable readline filename completion,
>>>  as suggested in that thread?
>> Yes.  Do it yourself, in your completer function.  Is it really that
>> hard?  I would have thought os.path + glob would make it a five line
>> or so excercise.
>
> Oh well, I'll do it myself then.  I'm a bit bummed to see
> functionality disappear in a release, but I can live with it.

The problem before was that there was *no way* of preventing the files
from appearing in the completion list.  I don't think their appearence
there was ever intended.  I just don't know enough about readline to
know if implementing a

    readline.set_filenames_in_completion()

function is feasible.  But that won't appease your users who have 2.3,
of course.

> I have more and more 2.3 users who aren't too happy about this
> change, so I'll just go ahead and implement it.

Didn't *any* of them try the betas?  This change is plenty old.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste.
              -- Steve Jobs, (From _Triumph of the Nerds_ PBS special)