[Python-Dev] latest bsddb3 test problems

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Sep 22 04:11:31 EDT 2003

>>> "Gregory P. Smith" wrote
> That's sounds like inconsistent behaviour.  Look at the diffs.  All of
> the changes since the python 2.3 release to _bsddb.c have been trivial.
> The _bsddb.c file version is not the culprit.

Yeah. Trying it repeatedly shows that it crashes, sometimes, on the old or
new code.

> It is passing on the systems that i've tested it on in the past few days:
> (Using BerkeleyDB 4.0, 4.1 and a prerelease of 4.2).
>
>   Linux/i686 Gentoo 1.4
>   Linux/alpha Debian "testing"

The only debian box I can get to easily is the sourceforge compile farm one,
and some charming individual appears to have fork-bombed it into uselessness.

> I do see the occasional DBDeadLockError which can be ignored.  (Yes,
> I agree, the test suite needs work to get rid of things like that.
> if its not going to consider it an error it should at least catch with
> a comment stating why to avoid the confusion)

That would be good. Note that I'm not just seeing DBDeadlockErrors, but a
whole swag of different errors on the different machines.

> NOTE:  A weakness of the bsddb tests that I have witnessed causing problems:
>
> It often doesn't wipe its temporary directory before the tests (in theory
> it should clean up on shutdown, but thats only if all goes well in the
> tearDown methods).  If a previous run was aborted abnormally and left
> a database environment & db around it can cause problems during future
> test runs if the testsuite trys to use that environment and db.

That shouldn't be a problem here, as I'm running the build and test processes
from different directories for each system.

> Do the same tests fail similarly when run on python 2.3?  I'd imagine so.
> IMHO, I wouldn't hold python 2.3.1 up due to bsddb test suite issues.

Going to try that next.