[Python-Dev] Discussion on adding rsplit() for strings and unicode objects.

Jeremy Fincher fincher.8 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 19 06:12:15 EDT 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 04:33 am, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> A few weeks ago I submitted a patch to add an rsplit() method to
>
> string and unicode objects:
> >Adding rsplit() to string and unicode objects. (2003-09-06)
> >	http://python.org/sf/801847

I'm all for it.  I've had to implement rsplit on my own as well, and always
lamented (but never did anything, unfortunately) about its lack in the
standard library.  That strings have rfind, rindex, rstrip, and rjust, but
not rsplit always seemed somewhat less than complete to me.

> loewis responded with:
> >[...] I feel that there are already too many string methods, so I
> >won't accept that patch.

Python's string methods (and the fact that I can easily iterate over the
characters in a string) enable me to write heavily string-manipulating code
without resorting to the cryptic regular expressions my old Perl code was
laden with.  As long as they're named appropriately, I can't see the harm in
adding useful methods, especially one such as rsplit that completes a set of
front-to-back/back-to-front methods.

Jeremy