[Python-Dev] Trying to fix time.tzset detection for 2.3.1

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 16 01:09:07 EDT 2003

Some of you may remember that I was working on closing a bug for Red Hat
6.1 where time.tzset was being detected by 'configure' when it shouldn't
have (it's busted on that platform) for 2.3.0 .  Unfortunately a working
patch never surfaced in time to be thoroughly tested.

Well, Kurt Kaiser wrote up a patch ( http://www.python.org/sf/762934 )
that seems sound.  I have gotten zero responses from anyone to test it
on Red Hat 6.1 and a remember that some people here were helping to test
last time (I also remember this led to the creation of a wiki page
listing platforms various people could test things on but I can't find
the page).

I would like to get this in for 2.3.1 (assuming this is considered
reasonable; not sure after the discussion that has gone on over what
should go into a micro release) if possible.  So if anyone is running
Red Hat 6.1 or has easy access to one I would appreciate it if you took
a look at the patch and gave it a go (don't forget the various steps
needed to make the patch work; read the follow-ups to see what needs to
be done).

-Brett