[Python-Dev] Re: Be Honest about LC_NUMERIC [REPOST]

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 1 08:15:08 EDT 2003

James Henstridge <james at daa.com.au> writes:

> The existing locale handling in Python shares this property, but makes
> it difficult for external libraries to format and parse floats in the
> locale's representation.  From what I can see, leaving LC_NUMERIC set
> to the locale value rather than "C" leads to better interoperability.

I think everybody agrees that allowing non-C LC_NUMERIC settings in
the C library is very desirable. My concerns are about the specific
approach taken to implement that change. Or, actually, with an entire
class of approaches: namely those that involve complex algorithms
(i.e. which include a for-statement :) to implement that feature.

Regards,
Martin