[Python-Dev] Re: copysort patch, was RE: inline sort option

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Tue Oct 28 06:59:49 EST 2003

Hi,

thought you might be interested in the opinions of someone not (yet) working
full-day with Python and whose mother tounge is *not* english.

"Raymond Hettinger" <python at rcn.com> schrieb

> Okay, this is the last chance to come-up with a name other than
> sorted().

The method is making a copy and sorts that and returns it, right?
I think the copy is not fully clear from this name.

I'd give it +0

> Here are some alternatives:
>
>   inlinesort()   # immediately clear how it is different from sort()

I'm rather -1 on it.

Inline might be confused with inplace, and even when not it's not clear from
the name that a copy is made.

>   sortedcopy()   # clear that it makes a copy and does a sort

My favourite (if the behaviour is how I believe it, that is *only* the copy
is sorted)
It's really obvious what is done.

+1

>   newsorted()    # appropriate for a class method constructor

I first read this news-orted, and had to step back.
Also "new" is not actually the same than "copy" to me (maybe because of my
C++) background.

Say -0

hth
Werner